Skip to main content

Ugh Pancake Tuesday!

The Lodger makes me laugh, most days.  He has a really funny view of the world and an amazing way of just getting on with things. 

Yesterday he came out school telling me it’s Pancake Tuesday tomorrow in an excited how brilliant sort of way. 

He then stopped and said “What is Pancake Tuesday?”

A quick explanation and a reassurance that he will have a pancake for his special tummy and all was good.... well when I say good, I mean content but with a 1000 question follow up, repeatedly, throughout the afternoon and evening...... and the following morning.... but that's just how it is with The Lodger. 

"Mum will I have a pancake?"
"Yum, I love pancakes!"
"Mum , I'm going to love my pancake!"
"Mum, does everyone know it's pancake Tuesday tomorrow?"
"Mum, can you make pancakes?"
"Mum, will you make the pancake after school tomorrow?"
"Mum, pancakes are great."
"Mum, when is Pancake Tuesday?"
"Mum, it's tomorrow!!!"

and on and on and on and on and on and on.................................. 

Everyone he then met was told it was Pancake Tuesday tomorrow. He went to bed reminding me to find out how his auntie makes the pancakes that are ok for his tummy. 

This morning, I woke to him singing a little song about Pancake Tuesday. We’re sharing a room until we move house, so usually, I wake to hear happy cheers of good morning mum, it’s going to be a great day!

He’s a morning person.... did you guess!?!

Back to today and I’m lying in bed listening to his song and thinking to myself, did he lie there all night thinking about Pancake Tuesday. Is it the same buzz he gets from Christmas? Easter? His birthday?

I didn’t know whether to be happy or sad. Since Diagnosis Day, I always thought Pancake Tuesday would cause so much stress, that we’d bypass it but then you’re here, in the moment and the stress you thought you’d have because of PWS isn’t as you’d imagined. It’s different. You also realise, that unless we live in on a desert island, we can't escape the world and its days of food celebration. 

I texted my better half to let him know about the song and he replied with 'well in a way it's less harmless than skin picking' (current issue...there’ll be a blog post on it soon.) And he's right, it is harmless, the little song about pancakes but it also in a way breaks my heart in an unexplainable kind of way. 

I’m waiting to collect him from school now and I know the first thing he’ll mention is Pancake Tuesday. The Lodger negotiated his terms yesterday.... a pancake for an afternoon snack because, in his words, it’s not a dinner thing. As my better half also pointed out, that's a win for us too. The Lodger concluding himself that the pancake would be an afternoon snack! 

Food brings the Lodger joy, unimaginable joy. It’s hard to describe, it's even harder to understand but a day dedicated to pancakes in his world is brilliant. In mine it’s another nuisance, another thing to plan for! In a way, a sadness as a day about food brings him so much joy and excitement and you just want to get rid of all the food but know you can’t, that you need it and he definitely needs it.... food is fuel and for The Lodger the fuel is exciting! 

So, as usual, we get on with it, we plan and prepare and answer 1000 questions and look forward to the day being over. 


Here’s to Pancake Tuesday... a good day for The Lodger, a mixed feeling of a day for the mum! 

O and of course, how could I forget......  in case you wondered..... yes he loved the pancake. It was made with eggs from the hens in the garden and a banana. 

'Yummmmmmmmm, Delicious! I love pancake Tuesday. When is it on again?' 

Collecting the eggs with his Auntie.

The Lodger, the farmer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused las

Steak is my favourite animal.

By Rory The Lodger loves cows. They are his favourite animal. They are also his baby brothers favourite animal because the Lodger decided they are.  Cow watching! The Lodgers birthday was recently. A huge day in his and our life. 10 years into our journey of discovery and all the other things Prader-Willi Syndrome throws at you. He wanted the perfect birthday. Don't we all on our birthday. Unfortunately the Lodgers idea of the perfect day for our birthdays doesn't always live up to his high standards. Or what you'd actually like to do on your birthday. And this can lead to unhappiness with the plan.  Things have to happen certain ways. And sometimes for example if I had a glass of orange juice for my last birthday breakfast I obviously have to have one this year. And probably, every year. Routine is important. We created that monster ourselves. This year my birthday was surrounded by much sobbing and stress as when the cake didn't work first time (and I was OK with it,

Hunting Nuns

By Rory Today we went hunting nuns. It a past-time I hadn't expected to be partaking in when I woke up this morning but that's what was decided we would do so we did it. I should explain.  The Lodger loves witches. His favourite witch is the Grand High Witch.  While some years ago we worked through the logic that the Grand High Witch was not real we discussed actors.  Now obviously, his favourite actor is Angelica Huston.  She lives in America so we learnt everything about her.  We learnt she went to school in Ireland  In Kylemore Abbey.  We now visit Kylemore Abbey. Alot. The Lodger likes the house which was then the school.  He likes the bus to see the Connemara ponies and the Kune Kune pigs. I like the gardens.  We now go there to hunt nuns.  Unfortunately today we didn't catch any nuns but we did do some research. We investigated every picture of the nuns. We read all about the nuns. We looked in odd places in case a nun might be there. But there were none to catch. We